Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pamir, Morristown, NJ

Located on South Street right off of the Green and amid various eateries, Pamir offers a variety of Middle Eastern/Afghani dishes.  Today, we stopped in for their lunch buffet and some dessert.  The buffet is a bit on the small side, but surprisingly offers many very tasty bites.

Dulce:
I filled my plate with Saffron rice, seasoned brown rice, chicken quorma (diced chicken stew with tomatoes, onion, garlic & Afghan spices), doolma, potato and scallion bulanee, beef kofta and chicken kabob....lots of great items!

PB:
I agree with Dulce.  The buffet is fairly small but a plethora of flavors and more than enough options for a great lunch.

Dulce:
The saffron rice was deliciously sweet, however the seasoned brown rice was not up my ally.  It had a stronger taste of nutmeg than I would have liked.

PB:
Again, I have to agree with Dulce here.  The brown rice was almost sweet.  I thought it was a cinnamon flavor but Dulce quickly corrected me, as she does sometimes, that it was indeed nutmeg.  While I like nutmeg, I found it a bit strange with the rice and not at all something that I'd want to have again.

Dulce:
The quorma was good...chicken nice and tender, but I was expecting more flavor.  It was very mild.  The doolma was not my cup of tea....not surprised though.  I only gave it a try cause PB said I would like it.  WRONG!

PB:
Hey, Hey, Hey.  I thought the doolma was pretty good.  Not at all what I was expecting but good flavor and texture.  In fact, I even had a second one.

Dulce:
The bulanee was great.  I could've eaten the whole platter.  Both kabob options were good, but the kofta was my absolute favorite.  Each ball of ground beef was LOADED with flavor!  The kofta and bulanee definitely elevated my meal!  Very delish!

PB:
She's right again.  (Although not surprising)  The kofta is incredible.  I equally enjoyed the chicken as well.  I thought it had great flavor, was prepared great and I added some hot sauce which gave it that little extra kick, which was great.

Dulce:
Unfortunately, the dessert we ordered didn't end the tasty meal on a great note.  We order the firnee (milk custard with rosewater, pistachio and almond).  What's not to like?  However, the rosewater, pistachio and almond were nonexistent.  The custard was set very hard as well.

PB:
So, I have to disagree here.  While I do think the flavor was fairly bland, I ate a majority of the firnee and the more I ate the more Almonds I found which really helped the overall flavor.  I know that Dulce didn't really like the desert but I almost finished it and while I was expecting and hoping for more, it wasn't that bad.

Dulce:
Overall my rating is a 6 (with meal being an 8 and dessert being a 4).  However, the kofta, saffron rice and bulanee will keep me coming back!

PB:
I rate the overall experience as a solid 7.  I will definitely be coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment